News
2026 Hajj…
May 4, 2026

Boarding processes for the departure of the first group of Ghanaian pilgrims to Madina as part of the 2026 Hajj pilgrimage began early Friday morning in Tamale, with activities starting as early as 4:00 a.m. More than 6,000 pilgrims are expected to be airlifted from Ghana to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for this year’s holy pilgrimage, with Tamale serving as one of the main departure hubs. Out of a total of 19 scheduled flights, nine are expected to take off from Tamale, while the remaining flights will depart from Accra as the nationwide airlift operation progresses. Speaking to journalists on Friday May 1, 2026, the Communications Director of the Pilgrimage Affairs Office, Mohammed Amin Lamptey, said the process had so far proceeded smoothly since its commencement. He explained that a structured flight schedule had been developed to ensure an orderly and efficient airlift of all pilgrims within the planned timeframe. “We have almost about 18 flights to do starting from today. We have developed a programme order that we are following for a successful uplifting,” he said. Mr. Lamptey further expressed confidence that this year’s pilgrimage would be one of the most organised in Ghana’s history, noting that lessons from previous challenges had been taken into account in the planning process. He assured that adequate logistical arrangements had been put in place to ensure a smooth and safe journey for all pilgrims as the airlift operation continues in the coming days.